One of the most important things in the morning is breakfast. I never miss mine. It gives you the fuel and energy to go through the day. You know what they say, eat breakfast like a King, lunch as a Prince and dinner like a pauper.
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals, as I simply love this style of food. What I chose always depends of my mood. Today I made myself this delicious and comforting porridge I wanted to share the recipe with you. Keeping it healthy the porridge is also raw, gluten, dairy free and contains no refined sugar.
I also throw in two of the most incredible food ingredients with many health benefits. Chia seeds (pronounced chee-ah) and almonds. Let me quickly remind you why are they good for you!?
1. Chia is the Mayan word for strength, indicating life force and energy.
2. They’re an excellent source of calcium which is especially useful if you’re vegan or don’t eat dairy.
3. They absorb as much as 10 times their weight in water and therefore help regulate your body fluid levels. A great tip for athletes who need to stay hydrated.
On the other side almonds are an excellent source of calcium, protein and iron. The raw honey too is an effective remedy for hay fever sufferers.RECIPE Serves 1
30g chia seeds
375 ml almond milk
¼ banana, sliced
¼ mango, chopped
1 handful of raspberries
1 handful of blueberries
½ handful of chopped almonds
½ handful of sunflower seeds
½ handful of pumpkin seeds
1½ tablespoons of raw honey (approximately 23 ml)
1. Pour the almond milk over the chia seeds. Add a tablespoon of raw honey and stir – do this tonight and leave to soak. The chia seeds will have absorbed the almond milk and have a puffed-up appearance.
2. In the morning, add the fruit, nuts and seeds with ½ tablespoon of raw honey.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did this morning.
Bon appetite, xx MM